My Least Favorite QuestionPosted: January 20, 2011
“What do you want to do for dinner?” Man, I hate this question! I hate asking it and I hate being on the receiving end of it. But you know, Cory and I are the perfect match, really. He loves to cook, but hates to clean up. I am no Top Chef (that’s putting it nicely) but I have no problem cleaning up. And we both love to eat! 😉 That said, neither of us has really mastered the whole “planning meals ahead as a couple” thing, so dinner is always a sticky situation for us. It’s not like I’m packing my lunchbox for dinner when I visit Cory! 🙂 I hope we’ll get better at that once we get married.
Our other dilemma is that it’s often more expensive to go buy ingredients for a meal than it is to go out somewhere. Hey, we’re still starting out – so every dollar counts! 🙂 Also, eating out is an experience, you know? Growing up, my family sat down to a homemade dinner every single night (for which I’m so thankful) so going out to eat is fun for me. I feel guilty eating out though. But I really do try my best to make good decisions (most of the time)
So, after weighing our options and doing a billion online searches for “healthy, cheap dinners” we ended making a delicious Mexican Pasta!
In the Mix:
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- (Cory and I grilled a chicken breast and split it for a little extra “umph!”)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook onions and pepper in oil until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Stir in corn and heat through. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, salsa, olives, taco seasoning and salt and pepper and cook until thoroughly heated, 5 minutes.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta and serve.
So whatdaya know? It all turned out just fine!
I know I had a bitchfest about being asked what the heck I want for dinner, but lunch is always so much easier 😉 My lunch today was chalk-full of different delicious nibbles.
I packed a goldfish and almonds mix, some turkey slices, yellow pepper, grape tomatoes, a string cheese, an apple and a 100 calorie popcorn pack. The apple was mushy – no can do! – so I only had a few bites 😦 And I didn’t get to the popcorn. Maybe tomorrow!
I also enjoyed a mug-o-tea midmorning. I don’t know about you, but I love tea.
One more quick story! I started this post and took a break half way through (right after I confessed being a subpar chef) and guess what I happened to get in the mail from Cory’s grandparents?!
How perfect, right?! It totally made my night! Now we’ll have tons of recipe ideas to try!
Question for the evening – What are your favorite go-to meals?